;

Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

Monuments at Gettysburg – 145th Pennsylvania Infantry

Posted By on April 16, 2015

The 145th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument at Gettysburg is located south of the town of Gettysburg on Brooke Avenue in the Rose Woods.  It was dedicated in 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The picture of the monument (above) is from Stephen Recker’s Virtual Gettysburg Web Site which has more information about the monument and the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry.

A full description of the monument, its GPS Coordinates, additional photographs, and some of the history of the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry, can be found on the Stone Sentinels Web Site.

———————————

About the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry, the Philadelphia Inquirer of 11 September 1889 stated:

In the Whirlpool of the Battle.

The 145th Regiment started from Erie to the front 11 September 1862, almost without arms and with scarcely any knowledge of military duty at a time when there was an urgent need for troops and the Union Army was dispirited.  Its first fight was at Antietam, only twelve days after the organization at Erie.

The officers were:  Colonel, Hiram L. Brown; Lieutenant Colonel, David B. McCreary; Majors John W. Patton, John W. Reynolds, Charles M. Lynch; Adjutants, James C. Hart, James D. Black.

On 11 September the dedication of the monument in the Wheat Field, or “Whirlpool of the Battle,” will take place.  The order of exercises will be:  Prayer, by Rev. J. Boyd Espy; presentation of monument to president of association, by John C. Hilton; acceptance and presentation to Board of Commissioners, by General D. B. McCreary; address, by Thomas Osborn Jr.; and benediction, by Rev. W. H. McMasters.

———————————

Hiram L. Brown

Colonel Hiram Loomis Brown was the commander of the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg.

Brown, a resident of Erie County, Pennsylvania, first enrolled in the 83rd Pennsylvania Infantry as Captain of Company I on 27 August 1861, but resigned that post to accept the position of Colonel of the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry, which began its service on 5 September 1862.  While the Captain of the 83rd, he was wounded at Gaines Mill and Fredericksburg.  When he was wounded at Gettysburg, Captain John W. Reynolds took over as commander of the 145th.  After returning to the 145th, Colonel Brown was captured at Spottsylvania in May 1864, was breveted Brigadier General on 3 September 1864, and then resigned as result of a Special Order, 1 February 1865.

Hiram L. Brown died on 25 November 1880 and is buried in Erie Cemetery, Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania.  Additional information about him can be found at his Findagrave Memorial.

John W. Reynolds, born 3 July 1836, began service in the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company A, as Captain, on 26 August 1862.  As Captain, he took over regimental command for Hiram L. Brown who was wounded at Gettysburg.  But John W. Reynolds was also wounded in the battle.  On 20 August 1863, he was promoted to headquarters as Major of the regiment.

While serving as Captain of Company A, Reynolds completed a final account of the belongings of Henry W. Alvord who died of typhoid fever on 30 January 1863.  That report was found in the widow’s pension file and can be seen at Fold3.

On 15 April 1905, John W. Reynolds applied for his own pension benefits, which he received and collected until his death which occurred on 25 October 1925.  He is buried in Erie Cemetery, Erie.  Some additional information about him can be found at his Findagrave Memorial.

Captain Moses W. Oliver of Company B, took over for Captain Reynolds when he was wounded.  Captain Oliver joined the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry on 26 August 1862 and was honorably discharged with his company on 24 November 1863.  He was born 8 June 1833 in New York and died on 4 February 1906 in Pennsylvania.  He is buried at Spring Cemetery, Springboro, Crawford County, Pennsylvania.  See his Findagrave Memorial for more information.

———————————

Around the base of the Pennsylvania Memorial at Gettysburg are a series of plaques which, by regiment and company, note the names of every soldier who was present at the Battle of Gettysburg.  The plaque for the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry is pictured below.  By clicking on the plaque it should enlarge so the names can be more clearly read.  If a name does not appear, it could be that the soldier did serve in the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry, but was not part of the regiment during its days at Gettysburg.  There could also be errors on the plaque.

145PA-Gettysburg-001a


Comments

Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is currently enabled so there will be a delay between when you post your comment and when it shows up. Patience is a virtue; there is no need to re-submit your comment.