;

Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

Henry A. Martz – Lifelong Railroad Man, Served in 127th Pennsylvania Infantry

| February 3, 2017

Henry A. Martz was born 11 December 1831 in Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, the son of Daniel Martz (1810-1844) and Hannah [Buffington] Martz (1812-1897). His name appears on the Lykens G.A.R. Monument as a Private who joined the Heilner Post after its organization. The obituary of Henry A. Martz appeared in the Lykens Standard, 12 […]

Edward B. Martz – 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry

| February 1, 2017

Edward B. Martz was born on 23 July 1843, the son of Charles F. Martz (1817-1880) and Elizabeth Ann [Haas] Martz (1821-1849). On 20 September 1861, Edward Martz enrolled at Lykens Borough in the 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company B, and on 7 October 1861, he was mustered into service as a Private.  At the time, […]

Robert McClelland, Miner of Tremont – Died at Beaufort, South Carolina, 1862

| January 20, 2017

On 19 August 1861, Robert McClelland, age 32, enrolled in the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company A, at Tremont, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.  At the time, he was a coal miner whose residence was Tremont.  Other sources note that he was married and had five living children when he enrolled, the youngest, Eleanor McClelland, just born less […]

Women and the Civil War (Part 8)

| December 23, 2016

Women and the Civil War” is an exhibit of photographs and stories of women who had family connections with soldiers of that war.  It was first displayed at the Gratz Fair in September 2013, where it received “first place” in a non-profit division.  Afterward, it was displayed in 2014 at the Williamtown-Williams Township Historical Society; […]

Women and the Civil War (Part 5)

| December 12, 2016

“Women and the Civil War” is an exhibit of photographs and stories of women who had family connections with soldiers of that war.  It was first displayed at the Gratz Fair in September 2013, where it received “first place” in a non-profit division.  Afterward, it was displayed in 2014 at the Williamtown-Williams Township Historical Society; […]