Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

Gratz During the Civil War – Keiter-Snyder Property

| September 21, 2012

The row of houses on the south side of Market Street in the first block east of Centre Street (formerly Chestnut Street) now appears as abandoned and partially boarded-up.  During the Civil War, this was the property of two Gratz businessmen, Philip W. Keiter and Cyrus Snyder.  The original buildings were built some time before […]

Gratz During the Civil War – Ritzman House

| September 20, 2012

This house and Lot #89 at the western end of the original plot of the town of Gratz, was purchased by Suzanna [Matter] Ritzman in 1858 from the estate of Christian Yerges.  The house dates to about the year 1843 and was probably built by Yerges when he owned the property. The earliest available picture […]

Gratz During the Civil War – Harner House

| September 19, 2012

As with some of the lots in Gratz, this Lot #63 changed hands many times in the years before the Civil War.  The house that existed here during the Civil War was demolished in the second half of the 20th century.  It remains a vacant lot today.  Two of the early owners of this property […]

Gratz During the Civil War – Ossman House

| September 18, 2012

The heirs of Simon Gratz sold this corner property, Lot # 31,  in 1852 to Daniel K. Ossman.  The house on the lot was built some time before the sale.  From its appearance, it originally was a double house and was indicated as such in the will of Daniel K. Ossman, which was written in […]

Gratz During the Civil War – Phillips House

| September 17, 2012

The ownership of this Lot #13 from Simon Gratz to about the 1850s has not been determined.  However, an early owner was Adam Willier, who by 1855 had a tenant, T. Radel.  In 1858, a transfer was made to John Phillips who had a small house here during the Civil War years.  Phillips was a […]