;

Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

Monuments at Gettysburg – 42nd Pennsylvania Infantry

| October 21, 2014

The 42nd Pennsylvania Infantry (13th Pennsylvania Reserves or Bucktails) Monument at Gettysburg is located south of the town of Gettysburg on the summit of Big Round Top.  It was not dedicated until September 1890 due to the conflict between what the regiment wanted (a memorial hall for all the reserve units) and the Pennsylvania governor […]

Monuments at Gettysburg – 41st Pennsylvania Infantry

| October 16, 2014

The 41st Pennsylvania Infantry (12th Pennsylvania Reserves) Monument at Gettysburg is located south of the town of Gettysburg on the summit of Big Round Top.  It was not dedicated until September 1890 due to the conflict between what the regiment wanted (a memorial hall for all the reserve units) and the Pennsylvania governor who vetoed […]

Monuments at Gettysburg – 39th Pennsylvania Infantry

| October 14, 2014

The 39th Pennsylvania Infantry (10th Pennsylvania Reserves) Monument at Gettysburg is located south of Gettysburg on Confederate Avenue at the foot of Big Round Top.  It was not ready for the Pennsylvania Day ceremonies of 1889 and therefore was dedicated in 1890.  The view of the Monument pictured above is from Steven Recker’s Virtual Gettysburg […]

Monuments at Gettysburg – 40th Pennsylvania Infantry

| October 9, 2014

The 40th Pennsylvania Infantry (11th Pennsylvania Reserves) Monument at Gettysburg is located south of Gettysburg on Ayres Avenue.  It was dedicated some time after the group of monuments that were unveiled for the 25th Anniversary in 1889 and therefore was not reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Pennsylvania Day.  The picture of the monument (above) is […]

Monuments at Gettysburg – 38th Pennsylvania Infantry

| October 7, 2014

The 38th Pennsylvania Infantry (9th Pennsylvania Reserves) Monument at Gettysburg is located south of Gettysburg at the foot of the Little Round Top, close to the crossing of Warren Avenue and Sykes Avenue.  The monument was dedicated in the 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and was depicted in the 11 September 1889 article that […]