Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

The Civil War Equestrian Statues at Philadelphia City Hall

| May 19, 2016

Today’s post is a photo essay on the two Civil War equestrian statues on the north side of Philadelphia’s City Hall.  Above is the “Museum Without Walls” marker describing the statues and below is the text of the marker: GENERAL GEORGE McCLELLAN 1891 Henry Jackson Ellicott (1841-1901) – Sculptor MAJOR GENERAL JOHN FULTON REYNOLDS 1884 […]

Gen. George McClellan’s Philadelphia Home – Historical Marker

| April 7, 2016

The McClellan House was located at 912 Walnut Street, Philadelphia.  A historical marker was placed on the sidewalk in front of where the house once stood.  The marker reads: McCLELLAN HOUSE Father and son lived at 912 Walnut St. after 1832.  Home of George McClellan, M.D., founder, Jefferson College, until he died in 1847.  Home […]

Clifford H. Romberger (1947-2015) – Civil War Re-Enactor

| October 5, 2015

Word has been received of the death of Civil War Re-Enactor, Clifford H. Romberger.  His obituary, as it appeared in local area newspapers, and on the web site of Hoover-Boyer Funeral Homes, follows: ELIZABETHTOWN – Clifford H. Romberger, 68, of Masonic Drive and formerly of Elizabethville, passed away Thursday, September 24th, 2015 at the Masonic […]

Monuments at Gettysburg – 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company B

| June 5, 2015

The two monuments to the 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry at Gettysburg are located southeast of the town of Gettysburg, close to each other on the eastern side of Baltimore Pike.  One of the monuments is pictured above and can be seen on Stephen Recker’s Virtual Gettysburg Web Site which has more information about the monuments and […]

Monuments at Gettysburg – 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry

| June 1, 2015

The 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry Monument at Gettysburg is located south of the town of Gettysburg on Confederate Avenue and was dedicated in 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The above drawing of the monument was included in the Philadelphia Inquirer articl1 of 11 September 1889. A picture of the monument can be seen on Stephen […]