Posted By Norman Gasbarro on April 22, 2015
The 149th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument at Gettysburg is located on Chambersburg Road near the McPherson barn. It was dedicated in 1888 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The history and monument dedication program of the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry as reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer, 11 September 1889:
The Bucktail Regiment.
The 149th, the Bucktail Regiment, was recruited from the counties of Potter, Tioga, Lycoming, Clearfield, Clarion, Lebanon, Allegheny, Luzerne, Mifflin, and Huntingdon. It was organized by Major Stone under special orders from the War Department for the purpose of increasing the valuable services of skirmishers and sharpshooters. The men were of hardy habits, skilled in the use of the rifle and wore the bucktail. Its Colonels were Roy Stone and John Irwin; Lieutenant Colonels, Walton Dwight and James Glenn; Major, George W. Speer. Stone and Dwight were wounded at Gettysburg, 1 July 1863.
The programme of exercises at the monument will consist of prayer by the chaplain, an address by Captain J. C. Johnson, an original poem by David Allen, an historical address by General E. S. Osborne, “America” sung by the regiment, the dedication of the monument by Judge J. F. Slagle, followed by the Doxology and Benediction.
Lieutenant Colonel Walton Dwight was the commander of the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry at the beginning of the Battle of Gettysburg. He was wounded in the leg on the first day of the battle but continued in command until the regiment fully retreated through the town of Gettysburg.
Dwight died on 15 November 1878 and is buried at Spring Forest Cemetery, Binghamton, Broome County, New York. Further information about him can be found at his Findagrave Memorial.
Captain James Glenn of Company D of the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry took command on 1 July 1863 because Lieutenant Colonel Walton Dwight was wounded. He was later promoted to headquarters as Major on 22 April 1864 and to Lieutenant Colonel 8 January 1865.
Lieutenant Colonel James Glenn died on 23 August 1901 in Pittsburgh where he had a feed and grain business. He is buried in Saint Clair Cemetery, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
For more information about Lieutenant Colonel James Glenn, see his Findagrave Memorial which references a web site with other biographical material on him.
Around the base of the Pennsylvania Memorial at Gettysburg are a series of plaques which, by regiment and company, note the names of every soldier who was present at the Battle of Gettysburg. The plaque for the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry is pictured below. By clicking on the plaque it should enlarge so the names can be more clearly read. If a name does not appear, it could be that the soldier did serve in the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry, but was not part of the regiment during its days at Gettysburg. There could also be errors on the plaque.