Posted By Norman Gasbarro on April 20, 2015
The 147th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument at Gettysburg is located southeast of the town of Gettysburg on Geary Avenue. It was dedicated in 1885 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The Philadelphia Inquirer article of 11 September 1889 provided no history of the 147th Pennsylvania Infantry nor did it tell of any planned activities for monument dedication day.
The commander of the 147th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg was Ario Pardee.
Ario Pardee, whose full name was Ariovistus Pardee Jr., was born in Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, 28 October 1839. He trained as a civil engineer at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and before the Civil War ran his father’s coal mines. His first service was as Captain of Company A of the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry beginning on 28 June 1861, but by 1 November 1861, he was promoted to headquarters as Major of the regiment. Upon the organization of the 147th Pennsylvania Infantry, he transferred to become Lieutenant Colonel of that regiment. On 19 March 1864, he was promoted to Colonel and on 12 January 1865, he was breveted Brigadier General. He was discharged with his regiment on 13 June 1865.
After the Civil War he returned to coal mining, but then was involved for a time in railroads. He died on 16 March 1901 and is buried in the St. Paul’s Episcopal Churchyard, Elkins Park.
Additional information about him can be found at his Wikipedia page.
Around the base of the Pennsylvania Memorial at Gettysburg are a series of plaques which, by regiment and company, note the names of every soldier who was present at the Battle of Gettysburg. The plaque for the 147th Pennsylvania Infantry is pictured below. By clicking on the plaque it should enlarge so the names can be more clearly read. If a name does not appear, it could be that the soldier did serve in the 147th Pennsylvania Infantry, but was not part of the regiment during its days at Gettysburg. There could also be errors on the plaque.