;

Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

Obituary of George S. Klinger from West Schuylkill Herald

Posted By on October 15, 2013

The obituary of George S. Klinger appeared in the West Schuylkill Herald, 9 February 1906, and included a summary of his military record:

George S. Klinger

On Wednesday noon 31 January 1906, George S. Klinger one of Gratz’s highly honored citizens and one of our country’s defenders departed this life and was mustered into eternity.  All who knew Mr. Klinger, knew him as a kind-hearted friend and as a loyal Christian, and a living example of sterling character.  While we deeply mourn his loss, we submit to the Divine will, realizing that our loss is his gain.  The deceased was born in Hubley Township, Schuylkill County, 12 August 1844 about one and one half miles Southeast of Klingerstown Gap.  He was baptized in infancy by the Rev. I. F. Stiely of the Lutheran Church.  During his youth he was educated in the public schools and received a comprehensive and practical training on the farm.  At the age of 17 years he enlisted in the Federal Army as a substitute for his father; the latter being one of the fortunate ones to be drafted.  He enlisted in the 173rd Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers [173rd Pennsylvania Infantry].  Some time during the month of October or November 1862, he was mustered into service at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg.  The field officers of his regiment were as follow:  Daniel Nagle, Colonel; Z. P. Boyer, Lieutenant Colonel; Grant Neidman, Major.  The regiment was ordered to move to Washington on the 30th of November from thence it was ordered to Suffolk, Virginia.  Their destination was however changed before they arrived at Suffolk.  Upon nearing Fortress Monroe, they were directed to Norfolk, instead of Suffolk. Upon their arrival at Norfolk, the regiment was reported to Gen. Vaile, who at once ordered them to duty in guarding the approaches of Camp Veile, about 3 miles north of Norfok.  At this place the regiment passed some time in the ordeal of drilling and disciplining.  After the regiment was thoroughly drilled two companies were stationed at Norfolk, one at Kingsville, 12 miles South East of Norfolk, one at the entrenched line which surrounded Norfolk at the North, from one shore to the other, and an officer and 10 men at Sewells Point, a non-commissioned officer and 25 men at Cape Henry Light House, 2 companies at David’s Mills Bridge, 13 miles South West of Norfolk, in the direction of Suffolk, a non-commisioned officer and 6 men for the guard to the mail boat Arrow sailing through the Albemarle Canal to Roanoke, a guard at the Indian Pole Bridge North of Norfolk, a guard at Great Bridge about 10 miles South of Norfolk at the Albemarle Canal at the Princess Anne road and a guard along Farmer’s Creek.  All of those detachments were regularly relieved at intervals of one week.  Sometime in early May 1863, the regiment was called to Norfolk for Provost duty.  At this place it was held until the 9th of July.  On this day it was sent with the 177th regiment to Washington from there to Frederick, Maryland, reporting to Gen. Meade, who was at that time moving in hot pursuit of the Confederates under Lee in their retreat from Gettysburg.  They were immediately ordered to report to Gen. Howard, commanding the 11th Corps and were assigned to the 2nd Division, which was associated with the 27th and 73rd and 154th and 134th  New York Regiments.  They were now subject to long and tedious marches, to which they were little accustomed heretofore.  They crossed the Potomac River on a pontoon bridge at Berlin, about 4 miles below Harpers Ferry.  After this they were ordered to guard the Orange and Alexandria Railroad at Warrenton Junction, Bristow Station, and Manassas Junction.  The regiment was ordered to Harrisburg on the 13th of August, its term of service having expired.  On arriving at Harrisburg, the regiment was mustered out of service on the 16th, 17th and 18th days of August 1863.

After being discharged Mr. Klinger and several of his comrades walked from Harrisburg to Gratz, by way of Matamoras Pike.

After his return, he followed the trade of masonry for some years and later purchased a saw mill about 4 miles east of Gratz.  In 1883 when he was engaged in cutting down trees at the mountain near his home, he met with a painful accident cutting the tendon of one of his legs, which resulted in an immovable joint at the knee.  During the year of 1883 he entered into the mercantile business in Gratz, in partnership with his brother Daniel, in which he was actively engaged for a period of 19 years.  Mr. Klinger was unmarried.  He was confirmed to membership in the Lutheran Church (Coleman’s) on 17 April 1864. Later on he became united with the Klinger’s Church, at which interment was made on Saturday, 3 February 1906 making him 61 years, 4 months, 19 days.  The Rev. C. Kuder of Elizabethville and Rev. Klick of Hegins officiated.

The above transcribed obituary is from the collection of the Gratz Historical Society.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is currently enabled so there will be a delay between when you post your comment and when it shows up. Patience is a virtue; there is no need to re-submit your comment.