;

Civil War Blog

A project of PA Historian

Organization of Kilpatrick Post, No. 212, G.A.R., Millersburg

Posted By on May 19, 2012

The following history appeared in the Souvenir Book:  Millersburg Centennial Celebration, which was published in September, 1907, by the Committee on Printing and Advertising, J. F. Adams, Chairman, and members C. A. Miller, E. E. Railing, C. W. Noll, and F. M. Faust.

G.A.R.

Kilpatrick Post, No. 212, G.A.R.., was organized on the 9th of July, 1881, by Wilson C. Fox, mustering officer, appointed by the Department of Pennsylvania.  He was assisted by the following persons:  John P. Kenney, S.V.C.; J.R. Long, J.V.C.; J.M. Major, Chaplain; F.B. Kinnard, O.D.; B.F. Thompson, O.G.; Thomas Numbers, Adjutant; Henry Cordes, Sentinel; all of Post No. 58 of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  The following officers were installed:  T. S. Freeland, P.C.; Henry Cordes, S.V.C.; H.O. Baum, J.V.C; A.J.Pontius, Anjutant; W.D. Hayes, Surgeon; J.L. Seebold, Chaplain; Charles T. Dechant, Q.M.; John W. Sneeder, O.D.; Joseph Alleman, O.G.; Daniel Y. Lenker, S.M.; W.H. Lower, Q.M.S.; Jacob Beller, I.G.; James Witman, O.G.

The Post was incorporated by the Court of Common Pleas of Dauphin County on the 2nd day of December 1884.  The Post has grandly observed Memorial Day, annually, since its organization, and had the hearty co-operation of all the people of the town.  The rank and file will soon all be gone, and the community will miss an interesting civic organization.  Henry Cordes has been Commander, and S.S. Bowerman, Adjutant, since 1884.  The following are the present officers:  Henry Cordes, P.C.; B.F. Smith, S.V.C.; Jacob Beller, J.V.C.; S.S. Bowman, Anjutant; W.H. DeHaven, Q.M.; John S. Haines, Surgeon; William B. Meetch, Chaplain; Daniel Feidt, O.D.; J.L. Freck, O.D.; J.H. Heckert, S.M.; J.H. Rowe, Q.M.S.

A early activity of the Kilpatrick Post was reported in the Harrisburg Patriot on 2 December 1882:

The members of Kilpatrick Post, G.A.R., of Millersburg, will indulge in a grand wheeling match on Christmas day.  Among the prizes to be competed for will be sacks of flour, turkeys and other useful articles.

In 1907, for the Centennial celebration, the G.A.R. was included in the parade and rode in cars instead of being asked to march.  The 6 September 1907 Harrisburg Patriot described the parade:

CLOSE OF THE CENTENNIAL

Blaze of Pyrotechnical Glory Ends Successful Celebration

2000 in the Civic Parade

Crowds That Thronged the Borough Streets estimated at 10,000 People

Millersburg, 5 September 1907 — Millersburg‘s Centennial Celebration is a thing of the past.  It came to a close tonight with a fine display of fire-works on the river – a show that made all the youngsters and many of the oldsters which that the jubilee was a sort of continual performance.

2000 Men in Parade

At 10 o’clock the band left the park to take its place in the civic parade.  This was a monster and surpassed even the fine industrial pageant held yesterday.  It is estimated that fully 2000 men marched in the line through the gaily decorated streets and that the spectators – townspeople and visitors – numbered 10,000, for they poured into the borough from all directions in trains of many card, each car crowded to the steps.  As yesterday, however, the crowd was very orderly.

H. W. Meetch was chief marshal of the parade with the following aides:  S. W. Kawell, H.M. Fairchild, L.W. Kerr, George Carl, H.C. Neagley, Guy L. Heckert, James D. Bowman, J.W. Hoy, Mark W. Mattis, J.A. Rowe, F.K. Chance, Custer Wingard and John W. Starr.

The usual squad of State Police headed the line to clear the route.  Queen Irene Freck and her ladies-in-waiting, in the royal float were conspicuous in the line; as they were in the Wednesday’s industrial display.

Some of the Marchers

Eight divisions made up the line as follows:

… Second Division – G.A.R. vehicles

The article that appeared in the Souvenir Book was provided by Leslie Smith of the Historical Society of Millersburg and Upper Paxton Township, 324 Center Street, P.O. Box 171, Millersburg, Pennsylvania  17061.  Questions about the history of Millersburg and the surrounding area can be directed to Leslie by contacting her by e-mail.  A prior post also featured the story of Gen. Hugh Judson Kilpatrick for whom the Millersburg G.A.R. Post was named.  News articles from the Harrisburg Patriot were obtained through the on-line resources of the Free Library of Philadelphia.

The post tomorrow will feature articles about the dedication of the Millersburg Civil War Soldier Monument which has been previously featured here on this blog.

——————————

Civil War Veterans included in this post:  Harry Cordis; Thaddeus S. Freeland; H. O. Baum; Andrew J. Pontius; W. D. Hayes; James L. Seebold; Theodore C. Dechant; John W. Sneeder; Joseph J. Alleman; Daniel Lenker; William H. Lower; Jacob Beller; James Witman; Simon S. Bowman; Benjamin F. Smith; Jacob Beller; William H. DeHaven; John S. Haines; William B. Meetch; Daniel S. Feidt; John L. Freck; John H. Heckert; Jacob H. Row.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is currently enabled so there will be a delay between when you post your comment and when it shows up. Patience is a virtue; there is no need to re-submit your comment.